The problem-focused curriculum and the strong interdisciplinary and comparative approach offer students ample opportunities to understand the theoretical and legal foundations of human rights and engage with challenges to human rights protection in an age of skepticism and populism.
The MA in Human Rights at Central European University (CEU) ―like all other programs at the Department of Legal Studies―is committed to research-based teaching. Areas of research and teaching include international mechanisms for the protection of human rights in all international and regional human rights regimes, freedom of expression and freedom of religion, human rights and criminal justice, political rights, non-discrimination, minority protection, human rights and development politics, human rights in Africa, the constitutional protection of rights on a basic level, and more.
Courses by our part-time (visiting) faculty build on the core content taught by permanent faculty, permitting us to introduce courses on contemporary human rights challenges as they arise. The program also benefits from close cooperation with other master’s programs at the Department via optional thematic specializations.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Archives, Evidence and Human Rights
Business and Human Rights
Comparative Freedom of Religion
Constitution-Building in Africa
Critical approaches to Romani Studies
Decolonizing International Human Rights
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesEuropean Law International Law Legal Studies View 6 other Masters in Legal Studies in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants for the M.A. in Human Rights program must have completed their undergraduate university studies before enrolling to the program. Admission with a three-year Bachelor’s degree (including three-year Bachelor of Laws) may be possible for suitable candidates in exceptional cases.Completed CEU Application Form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two academic referees / One academic and one professional referee if the candidate has more than three years of work experience
- Academic Records
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Academic Writing Submission(s)
- 1000-word essay on the topic specified below:
- Describe a human rights challenge in your country (or place of residence) from the past year. Discuss this issue from the perspective of relevant international and/ or regional human rights standards. Write a maximum of 1000 words."
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR for the full programme during 10 months.
EU/EEA13000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR for the full programme during 10 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.