Discover the Master’s tracks
The Master's programme Biological sciences offers specialisations in 4 tracks. Freshwater & Marine Biology is one of them. The other tracks are:
- Ecology and Evolution
- General Biology
- Green Life Sciences
The study programme
In the Biological Sciences - Freshwater and Marine Biology programme of the University of Amsterdam you will immerse yourself in research ranging from tropical marine biology to the ecology of wetlands ecosystems.
Graduates of the Master's programme in Freshwater & Marine Biology have had an excellent research training that allows them to pursue their PhD. But they can also pursue a career in a different workfield.
- Advances in Aquatic Sciences
- Research Project Biological Sciences
- Microbial Ecology
- Benthic Ecosystems
- Biological Oceanography
- Coral Reef Ecology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Marine Studies Ecology View 69 other Masters in Biology in Netherlands
Applicants should hold
- a Dutch Bachelor of Science degree or its equivalent in Biology. A Bachelor course in Aquatic Ecology and/or Marine Biology is required for all students. Students without such a Bachelor course can follow a self-tuition course combined with an intake interview before entry into the Master's programme.
- a Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Biomedical Sciences, Psychobiology or Future Planet Studies. These programmes may also qualify, but your suitability and knowledge will be assessed prior to admission. In case of deficiencies, following a pre-Master's programme of Bachelor courses might be necessary. An interview may be part of the procedure.
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.