The Comparative History (2 Years) - Comparative History from 1500 till present time program at Central European University (CEU) provides a systematic introduction to theories, methods, and research skills in history and related disciplines. The program’s regional setting and international faculty allows students to better understand European (with a traditional focus on Central and Eastern), Middle Eastern, Eurasian, and global historical processes in a comparative perspective, from the early modern period to the present time.
The program is specifically intended for applicants with a three-year BA (“Bologna type”) degree in history, archaeology, literary history, Classical languages, art history or other related disciplines or students who may have completed four or even five years of undergraduate education, but in a social science or humanities discipline other than history.
- Program registered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED)
- Program accredited by the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A Disintegrated Integration: The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1848-1918)
- The Artist as an Agent of History. From Symbolic Politics to Visual Activism
- The Atomic Age
- Dynastic States and Royal Courts in Early Modern Eurasian History (1450-1700)
- History of Daily Life
- Sources, Methods and New Perspectives in Ottoman History (15th to 18th centuries)
- Pilgrimage, Pilgrims, and Pilgrims’ Itineraries in the Middle Ages
- Critical Perspectives on Human Nature
- Emotions and Affect in History
- Global Comparisons: Russia and the Ottoman Empire, 1453-1839
- Global History of the Cold War
- Habsburg-Ottoman Borderlands
- Historiography II: Grand Debates in Central European History
- Historiography II: Grand Debates in Mediterranean History
- Historiography II: Grand Debates in Russian and Eurasian History
- Imperial transformations: A perspective from the Russian Empire and Soviet Union
- Labor History in Global Perspective 19th and 20th Centuries
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 16: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 4 other Masters in Ancient History in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree in history or a related field in the humanities or the social sciences
- Academic records
- Statement of purpose
- Short research proposal
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
National12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.