The one-year MA program in Gender Studies at Central European University (CEU) offers a condensed grounding in interdisciplinary gender studies for students with substantial previous background in gender studies or a related field (a minimum of a four-year BA is required). Applicants are asked to demonstrate their formal or informal exposure to some aspect of gender studies, along with evidence of initial thinking about a broad area of research.
The program aims at developing independent and critical thinkers with a broad basic knowledge of gender studies and the skills to approach gender as a key element of social and symbolic order at the local and the global levels. In keeping with these goals, the program introduces students to major theoretical and methodological approaches to gender studies from a range of disciplines.
The present faculty includes scholars trained in history, sociology, socio-cultural anthropology, political science, international relations, philosophy, literature, legal studies, rhetoric, and cultural studies. MA students are thus expected to develop their scholarly perspectives through an interdisciplinary lens and beyond their immediate fields of interest.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Academic Writing
- Bodies Across Borders: Global Migration in Historical Perspective
- Commodification of the Human Body
- Communism and Gender: Historical and Global Perspectives
- Critical Race Theory: Race and Law from the United States to Europe
- Economic inequality: Interdisciplinary perspectives
- Equality Policy in Comparative Perspective
- Foundations of Gender Studies
- Gender, Labor Markets, Neoliberalisms
- Gender, Sexuality, and Religion: Embracing, Questioning and/or Refusing the God(dess)
- Intersectionality & Interdisciplinarity in Gender Studies Research
- The Law and Politics of Combating Violence Against Women
- Nationalism, Gender, and Sexuality
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 16: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
- US degree credits: 30
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies View 4 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree (four-year bachelor’s)
- Academic records
- Statement of purpose
- Some knowledge of gender or feminist scholarship
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.