Biotechnology is the exploitation of living systems or molecules from them for commercial gain. Although the word 'biotechnology' is only a few decades old, humankind has been using biotechnology for millennia, for example in baking, brewing and sewage treatment.
Modern biotechnologies rely on our increasing ability to manipulate organisms at the genetic level and include novel waste treatments and bioremediations, new pharmaceuticals, the exploitation of enzymes in 'green catalysis' and exciting new diagnostic techniques.
In the 20th century our lives were transformed by information technology; the 21st century may see an equally great transformation, but this time led by biotechnology.
Molecular Biology And Biotechnology Highlights
The School of Biological Sciences was the first school of Biological Sciences in the UK to achieve a prestigious Athena SWAN Gold award.
World Class Facilities
The School is well equipped and carries out internationally competitive research in microbial, environmental and medical biotechnology.
Students of the Molecular Biology and Biotechnology degree at Queen's University Belfast will be offered selection of research project titles covering various aspects of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
Students will join a research laboratories and work full time in the real research environment for 3 month in summer. Students will be directly supervised by a member of research team.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations for Research in the Biosciences
- Literature Review
- Nucleic Acid Structure and Function
- Protein Structure and Function
- Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- We advise you to apply as early as possible, particularly for those courses where there is a high demand for places.
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Molecular Sciences View 134 other Masters in Biotechnology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a 2.2 Honours degree or above in a relevant area of science or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University.
- Applicants with qualifications below 2.2 Honours degree standard (or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University) will be considered on a case-by-case basis, if they can demonstrate appropriate experience, acceptable to the School.
- The University's Recognition of Prior Learning Policy provides guidance on the assessment of experiential learning (RPEL).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6450 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £6,450
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £6,450
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) £7,250
- EU Other £21,400
- International £21,400
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.