The studios, seminars and lecture courses provide introductory and advanced exploration into the theories, principles and practices of design, planning, preservation, and revitalization, as well as the search for new paradigms. The courses are supported by a wide range of electives in departments at the College of Environmental Science and Forestry and Syracuse University. There are also a significant number of opportunities for public service and research in the communities of New York state and beyond.
This area of study is especially appropriate in an era that calls for the redefinition of the American city, the retrofitting of the post-WWII suburb, the conservation and rejuvenation of rural and regional landscapes, and the exploration of traditional and new design paradigms that create sustainable symbiosis of community, ecology and place. The courses explore how to design and plan the socially interactive, environmentally sound, aesthetically pleasing settlement patterns that engender a strong sense of place and of citizenship.
There are abundant opportunities for careers in urban design, rural preservation and development, city and regional planning and corporate facilities planning. This focus is for graduate students interested in design, planning and research at the community scale via public, private, academic or non-traditional practice.
- Community Design
- Building Design
- Human Settlements Planing
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Interior Design View 346 other Masters in Design in United States
- Transcripts of an earned bachelor's degree from a recognized institution with an academic record showing at least a "B" average for junior and senior years of the baccalaureate program or for the master's program;
- The graduate application;
- A nonrefundable $60(US) application fee;
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and for some degree programs, advanced test scores;
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your academic or professional skills. This should NOT include personal friends and family;
- A resume; and
- A statement of educational and professional goals.
International22650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22650 USD per year and a duration of .
National22650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22650 USD per year and a duration of .
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11090 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.