All societies need reference points to form their future and to orient themselves in the present. Crafts constitute such a reference point through their associations with human needs and activities. The subject of crafts extends from tradition to science, forming an exciting, artistic arena. The master’s programme in Crafts at the Academy of Design and Crafts in Gothenburg is an all-encompassing environment that involves constant exchange and interaction between undergraduate education, research, and society.
Specializing in jewellery art
If you choose to study in the Crafts, Jewellery Art programme of the University of Gothenburg, you will have great possibilities to work in various materials. In the department’s well-equipped workshop, you will find machines and tools for working with smithery, soldering, casting, etching, enamelling, anodizing, and 3-d printing, for example.
- The first semester starts with a subject-specific practical and theoretical introduction where you will outline your focus and goals for your studies.
- During the second semester you will create in-depth artistic projects in order to develop understanding of your choices, working methods, and the context you are operating in from a historical and contemporary craft perspective.
- During the third semester the focus shifts from the self-initiated look to the viewer's gaze: to view and to be viewed. The exhibition format is examined in practice and theory. Prerequisites for a professional life are addressed. You will begin your independent degree project this semester.
- During the fourth semester you will complete your independent degree project that includes a major artistic work, a degree report, and a presentation of the project within the framework of a degree exhibition.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts or equivalent of at least 180 credits
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- In addition, approved work samples are required
- Letter of intent
- Work samples
Your portfolio to the MFA Programme in Crafts in Ceramic Art, Jewellery Art or Textile Art should include:
International27321 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54642 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 554,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.