Examples of applications in which mathematical and statistical models and methods are necessary for success are
- identify disease-related genes
- cryptography for the internet
- risk computations for financial instruments
- optimize staffing for airlines
- design of cars for minimum fuel consumption and maximum safety.
At the same time, the strong tradition of research in pure mathematics is continuing, where the goal of the research is simply to follow the human need to explore, and to understand the logical consequences of axioms. The interplay between these two sides of our field makes this a very exciting time to study mathematics.
All teaching in the program is in English by dedicated and skilled teachers. English is the second language in Sweden, and virtually anyone is able and willing to speak English. Hence, communicating in everyday life in Sweden is easy for all English speakers. The program is tuition-free for anyone that is a citizen in a country that is a member of EU, or any of the countries Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.Career
The Mathematical Sciences Master's programme is offered at University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science. Mathematicians and statisticians work in diverse areas of research and development, such as
- drug development
- mobile communication
- automotive and aerospace engineering
- encryption methods
- image processing
- computer graphics
They also work in other activities that require advanced mathematical or statistical techniques, for example to optimize the use of resources with respect to the environment and the economy, or to set option prices or insurance premiums.
The program can be customized with mathematical depth or width and subject specializations for a future in any of these areas. After completion of the program you will also be well prepared to continue with studies for a PhD in mathematics, mathematical statistics and related areas.
SACO, the dominating Swedish trade union confederation for academics, estimates that the demand for mathematicians and statisticians in Sweden will be high five years ahead. It is estimated that the labor market will expand and that competition for jobs is low. This is a global job market and the same will most probably be true in a majority of the countries around the globe.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
There are four specializations within the program: Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Financial Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics. Each specialization has a wide range of advanced courses to choose from, many of which are shared with the PhD program. It is also possible to take courses in other subjects.
There is a great freedom of choice in the program. There is a single common compulsory course and, apart from this, there are in the various specializations requirements to take 4-8 courses from lists of recommended specialization courses. The remaining 3-7 courses may be chosen freely.
The program is offered by the Department of Mathematical Sciences in a close collaboration between the University of Gothenburg and Chalmers University of Technology. The specialization Financial Mathematics is also given in cooperation with the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics View 21 other Masters in Mathematics in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree containing at least 75 higher education credits (hec) in mathematics and mathematical statistics, of which at least 15 hec must be at an advanced level. Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test for example TOEFL or IELTS, or a degree from an English-language university.
- Selection: The selection is based upon grades, with special attention to grades in mathematics and mathematical statistics.
International11246 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22493 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 232 806 SEK
- First payment: 58 202 SEK
We are convinced that education and research flourish in an international environment. A mixture of students from different cultures enriches the learning environment and the University believes that motivated students should have a chance to study here even if they don’t have the means to cover all costs.
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship & New Scholarships from Adlerbert Scholarship Foundation
- Swedish Institute's Scholarship
- The Volvo Group Scholarship
- The Richard C. Malmsten Memorial Foundation Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.