Courses, seminars and research projects in the International History programme of Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies cluster around the intersecting themes of international relations, institutions and movements; global/world and transnational history; history and policy; the history of ideas; the Global South and postcoloniality; and the histories of individual regions – the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, East Asia and South Asia, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- This master's degree combines coursework, workshops, research and a thesis.
- It encourages direct contact, debates and exchange with faculty and fellow students.
- Compulsory courses introduce the aims, substance and criticisms of the various approaches to international, transnational and global/world history.
- Research training is focused on individual and collective work based on primary and secondary sources.
- Students take elective courses in anthropology and sociology, economics, international law and international relations/political science, taught in the departments concerned.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A History of the Post-September 11 Era
- An International History of Racism
- Approaches to Global History
- Authoritarianism and Democracy in Latin America: From Independence to the 2010s
- Evolution of the International System, c. 1815 to the Present
- Foreign Policies of Major Powers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory International Relations View 13 other Masters in International Relations in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should hold, or at least receive upon arrival, a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a discipline relevant to your study programme, from an accredited university
- Professional experience and extracurricular activities are not compulsory but can be an asset to your application
- Complete the online application form
- Pay the application fee
- Provide contact details for two academic referees on the application form
- Upload all your supporting documents before the deadline
International7596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7596 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4747 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4747 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Non-resident students: CHF 8,000 per year
- Resident students: CHF 5,000 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.