You’ll also develop the tools to help address global challenges such as climate change mitigation and reduction through the development of safe and efficient city transport networks and mass public transport.
You will also experience what it is like to be part of a project team working across disciplinary boundaries within the transport sector. Through this, you’ll gain insights into how planning, economics, environmental science, modelling and engineering can work together to develop sustainable solutions to global challenges. This industry-inspired approach will enable you to apply your knowledge to real-world issues in the field.
Taught by academics with an international reputation, this Masters degree has been designed in collaboration with industry. This includes policy, travel behaviour, modelling, data analysis, land use planning, and public transport planning and management using research and evidence from around the world.
During your Transport Planning degree from University of Leeds, you’ll also use research models and tools developed by our staff that set industry standards around the world. The degree will not only provide you with a deeper understanding of these analytical and predictive tools, but also give you:
- Hands on experience of collecting and evaluating data: the key to good planning
- Expertise in sustainable spatial analysis
- Deep insights into human travel behaviour to ensure plans are successfully implemented.
We have close working relationships with a number of organisations and many employers visit the Institute for Transport Studies each year to interview our students for graduate schemes and other vacancies. We also regularly circulate specific job vacancies to students.
Our students are highly sought after and have a good reputation with transport consultants, and may receive a job offer before or shortly after graduation.
The organisations that have advertised and/or recruited directly from the Institute for Transport Studies include Arup, Mott MacDonald, AECOM, Capita, Transpennine Express, Transport for London, Pell Frischmann, Leigh Fisher, JMP, Amey and Hyder among many others.
- Understanding Travel Behaviour
- Shaping Future Transport Systems
- Transport Modelling
- Transport Data Collection and Analysis
- Sustainable Spatial Planning and Analysis
- Transport Dissertation
- Transport Integrated Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesTransport Management Transportation Engineering View 45 other Masters in Transportation Engineering in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a relevant subject such as (but not limited to) geography, town planning, earth and environment, architecture, sustainability, logistics, business and management, psychology, social policy, history, politics or public administration.
- Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional experience plus experience in the sector will also be considered.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.