In addition, the master's programs in Mechanical Engineering from University of Ontario Institute of Technology feature three primary fields of study in which students can focus and address key technical areas of the future that are expected to be in high demand by employers: Design, Energy and Thermofluids Engineering, and Mechatronics and Manufacturing Engineering.
Alternatively, a student can choose to cover many facets of the broad discipline of mechanical engineering. Topics can vary widely from robotics, automation and mechatronics, mechanics, controls and computer-aided design, to thermofluids and heat transfer. Mechanical engineering is often interdisciplinary, overlapping significantly with such disciplines as electrical, computer and software engineering. Opportunities exist for graduate students to explore these other disciplines.
The Master of Applied Science (MASc) program is research-oriented and provides excellent preparation for a career in research, development, advanced engineering and/or teaching. The Master of Engineering (MEng) program is designed for upgrading and expanding technical skills and knowledge. The MEng program emphasizes course-based learning, sometimes accompanied by a major project.
This field will train students to understand and employ the synergistic effect between design and innovation as the key for sustaining corporate performance and competitiveness through strategically finding new methodologies for achieving not only a novel solution, but the most optimal solution for a given engineering problem, under provided constraints. Students will acquire new knowledge and skills as well as implement their current knowledge of the design engineering process, concurrent engineering, CAD, CAE, CAM, CIM, strength of materials, machine design, solid mechanics, kinematics and dynamics of machines, calculus, thermodynamics, technical writing and basics of marketing and economics in an integrated course format that focuses on the most advanced real-world design concepts.
- Energy and Thermofluids Engineering
The energy and thermofluids engineering field includes technologies such as renewable energy systems, hydrogen, internal combustion engines, gas turbines, power plants and heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC), as well as related technologies associated with fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics.
- Mechatronics and Manufacturing Engineering
The mechatronics and manufacturing engineering field concentrates on computer-controlled, intelligent electromechanical systems, robotics, automation and the development of advanced technologies and materials for improvement of manufacturing processes and systems.
Programme StructureResearch areas:
- active noise and vibration control
- advanced composites
- advanced refrigeration and air conditioning
- automotive systems
- biomass combustion and gasification
- combined cycle power generation
- dynamics, vibration, and noise
- energy conversion and management
- engineering design
- fluid-structure interactions
- heat transfer, fluid mechanics and multiphase flows
- hydrogen production, storage, transportation, delivery and use
- hydrogen, ammonia and fuel cell technologies
- integrated energy systems
- manufacturing and materials
- mechanics of solids and structures
- modelling and simulation of energy systems
- multi-generation energy systems
- nanomaterials and structures
- renewable energy systems (e.g., wind, solar, geothermal)
- robotics, automation and controls
- smart energy systems
- thermal energy storage
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering Software Engineering View 82 other Masters in Software Engineering in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Ontario Tech University and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Hold a four-year honours undergraduate engineering degree in a relevant field from an accredited engineering program at a Canadian university, or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Minimum overall academic standing of a B (GPA: 3.0 on a 4.3 scale or 73 to 76 per cent), with a minimum B in the last two full-time years (four semesters) of undergraduate work or equivalent. B+ is preferred for MASc applicants.
International27581 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27581 CAD per year during 24 months.
National8859 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8859 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Oshawa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Mechanical Engineering.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.