Tailor your studies to your specific interests or career aspirations such as; healthcare, midwifery, nursing, leadership or dementia. Other areas inlcude nutrition, exercise, the social sciences, humanisation or social work.
You can set out to find the answer to a particular research question and will have the chance to delve more deeply into a subject area that you are passionate about.
Your research project will be developed in collaboration with our academic University staff who will provide you with specialist knowledge and supervisory input, while accessing BU’s technical and infromation resources.
You will also be part of BU’s wider postgraduate community and have access to the suite of research, professional and personal training offered through the Doctoral College and your academic faculty.
We strongly encourage collaboration across specialisms, and the Health and Social Sciences programme at Bournemouth University provides an opportunity to work with supervisors from various backgrounds to deliver truly impactful research.
Transferable skills and academia
Undertaking a research degree will not only allow you to carry out research in a specialist field, it will also equip you with transferable skills that can be applied to roles within project management, commercial research and development, or consultancy services.
You may decide that you would like to pursue a career within academia, developing the research that you undertake during your MRes and sharing your expertise with others who have an interest in a similar field.
Programme StructureDuring your MRes you will:
- Undertake research methods training to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the research methods used within the fields of health and social sciences
- Critically analyse information in the literature within your chosen field to identify information gaps, and develop and design a research project which addresses an issue within your chosen field
- Carry out your research project
- Produce a written critical analysis of the research data
- Present your research through a thesis and defend it by viva voce (oral) examination, to the satisfaction of examiners.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Health Sciences View 400 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- We would normally expect you to have an Honours degree at Upper Second Class (2:1).
- Some supervisors may ask you for additional entry requirements such as relevant work experience, evidence of written work, or previous study of a particular subject.
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4395 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.