The main aim of the Software Engineering programme of the University of Porto is to promote the excellence in professional qualification in both core and advanced Software Engineering topics, from its theoretical foundations to integrating software technologies inside organisations.
Fields of Specialization
MESW study plan covers the following areas:
- Software Engineering fundamentals and paradigms;
- Software specification, design and construction;
- Security issues in Software Engineering;
- Software understanding, evolution, testing and verification and validation.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in Software Engineering.
The MESW curriculum is anchored in real world problem solving, through team based software development projects, based on a "learn-by-doing" philosophy. Consequently, MESW provides the industry with highly trained, specialised professionals capable of leading and managing large and complex software engineering projects, guaranteeing high quality standards.
- Software Engineering Fundamentals and Paradigms
- Software Architecture and Design
- Software Testing Verification and Validation
- Requirements Engineering and Software Modeling
- Software Engineering Laboratory
- Software Evolution and Program Comprehension
MESW graduates become indispensable professionals to the software industry, coping with size, complexity and market needs and constraints. Portugal needs to able to place its trained professionals at the top of the world’s software industry technical hierarchy.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Technology Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 7 other Masters in Software Engineering in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Porto and/or in Portugal, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Holders of a Bachelor's degree or legal equivalent
- Holders of a foreign higher education degree awarded after a first cycle of studies structured in accordance with the Bologna Process by a State that implemented this process
- Holders of a foreign higher education degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of a Bachelor's degree by the statutory competent scientific body
- Those with an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting to their ability to carry out the cycle of studies by the statutory competent scientific body
- ID document (Citizen Card /ID Card / Passport) or declaration containing the identification data
- Graduation certificate regarding a higher education degree
- Certificate (Transcript) of the higher education institution listing the curricular units in which you got a passing grade, indicating the regime (semester/year) and the number of credit units/ECTS
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Porto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.