This education provides a foundation for those seeking to lead and/or manage sustainable initiatives, in research and practice, that bring about change in the workplace, community and the world.
The Leadership for Sustainability (One-Year) Master’s degree programme at Malmö University is grounded in four core premises:
- that sustainability requires new forms of organising, especially when it comes to a project-based organisation involving diverse stakeholders;
- that organising and leading sustainability requires new and diverse leading and organising skills, understanding and knowledge for managers and leaders of sustainable projects;
- that organising and leading sustainability require a new way of thinking of sustainability within and between organisations. Current research on social entrepreneurship and social innovation can reveal new methods and strategies with regards to this; and
- that methodological and methodical knowledge and understanding are needed to enable leaders to make sustainable decisions.
Based on these four premises, the programme bridges the fields of organisation theory, leadership, project management, social innovation and social entrepreneurship, so that new ways of organising and leading sustainability can be created. This will enable students to rethink common perceptions of leadership and organisational development.
In this programme, students are taught to reflect upon organisational and leadership challenges linked to organisational development and sustainability. This programme provides students with knowledge and critical understanding of current research in the fields of leadership and organisation, project management, social entrepreneurship and social innovation in the context of sustainability and sustainable development.
This master's programme is also focused on action and doing via diverse projects and thesis work. This is a way to develop students’ professional, conceptual and interpersonal skills so that as future sustainable leaders and social entrepreneurs, they will drive sustainable changes and have the capacity to make informed decisions about organisational and leadership issues in the management of sustainable organisations and projects.
This programme lays a solid foundation for those seeking to work as key players in project management and organisational development environments, and where the broader issues of societal development are important. The skills acquired during the programme will be relevant for managers in local, national and international governmental bodies, the private and non-profit sector and for consultancy work.
The entrepreneurial content of the course is designed to stimulate and encourage students to initiate projects, businesses or organisations with the purpose of working towards sustainable development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Organising and Leading Sustainable Organisations
- Leadership and Organisation for Sustainability - Research Methods
- Project Management and Sustainability
- Sustainable Development: Individual, Organisational and Network Perspectives
- Social Entrepreneurship, Social Innovation and Sustainability
- Master Thesis with a focus on Leadership and Organisation for Sustainability
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership View 71 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor´s degree, consisting of 180 credits.
- The equivalent of English B / English 6 in Swedish secondary school.
- Applicants are selected in order according to precedence from submitted three-part supporting document.
International7862 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7862 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Full tuition fee: 80.000 SEK
Living costs for Malmö
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.