Offering four distinct pathways in Composition, Ethnomusicology, Musicology, or Performance, the course allows you to take the initiative in constructing your own study programme with options in areas such as multimedia and film music, performance studies, historical musicology, and acoustic and electronic composition.
You will come away well-versed and well-practised in whatever discipline you choose, verbally and technically fluent, fully conversant with a broad range of issues of concern in current musical and musicological endeavour and able to present your ideas orally, in writing, and through performance and composition.
Our recent graduates of the Advanced Musical Studies course at Royal Holloway University of London have gone into careers as music teachers, composers and musicians. Others have gone into PhD studies at Royal Holloway or other leading universities, and then into academic careers, with some working in the highest-rated research departments in the country.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Skills in Advanced Musical Studies
- Special Study: Composition
- Special Study - Dissertation
- Special Study: Performance
- Historical Musicology
- Topics in Multimedia and Film Music
- Topics in World Music
- Techniques in Ethnomusicology
- Documenting Performance
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no deadlines for postgraduate applications, but popular degrees become full quickly.
DisciplinesMusic View 209 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
- Normally we require a UK 2:1 (Honours) or equivalent in relevant subjects but we will consider a high 2:2 or relevant work experience. Candidates with professional qualifications in an associated area may be considered. Where a ‘high 2:2’ is considered, we would normally define this as reflecting a profile of 57% or above.
- Candidates may be called to interview and be asked to submit examples of written work in support of their application.
- If you wish to pursue a Special Study in performance rather than a dissertation, an authenticated 20 minute audition recording of three contrasting pieces should be submitted.
- IELTS: 6.5 overall. Writing 7.0. No other subscore lower than 5.5.
International16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Royal Holloway Principal's Masters scholarship
- Bedford Society scholarship
- RHBNC Trust scholarship
- American Foundation of RHBNC International Excellence scholarship
- Brian Harris scholarship
- Royal Holloway is committed to supporting and developing the next generation of researchers. We recognise funding is often an obstacle for talented students, so we offer a variety of funding packages which include studentships funded by the College, the Research Councils and external partners.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.