The Teaching (Urban Teacher Residency) program at the Montclair State University residents who successfully complete the program will earn New Jersey P-3, K-6, or P-12 subject area teacher certification and their Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT). Graduates of the UTR are required to make a three year commitment to teach in the Newark or Orange Public Schools.
The Urban Teacher Residency program is designed to recruit talented individuals, especially people of color and individuals from other occupations, into the teaching force; improve the quality of both new and prospective teachers; increase teacher retention rates; and ultimately improve student achievement.
- Fundamentals of Speech: Communication Requirement
- Understanding Community Cultural Wealth in the Service of Urban Teaching
- Foundations of Inclusive Social Justice Curriculum and Assessment
- Transformative and Inclusive Teaching Methods
- Transformative Teaching Praxis in the Service of Urban Schools
- Inquiry and Reflection: Transformative Inclusive Teaching and Practice in Urban Classrooms
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesNatural Sciences Teaching View 301 other Masters in Natural Sciences in United States
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two
- Standardized Test Scores: Praxis I, ACT, SAT and GRE can all satisfy the requirement. See minimum scores and more information on the Center of Pedagogy’s website. (see test waiver policies).
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions.
- Please describe any prior experiences that have prepared you to be a strong teacher for the children of Newark. What do you still need to learn in order to reach this goal?
- The Urban Teacher Residency program focuses on developing teachers who are committed to social justice and antiracism. What does this mean to you and what interests you about it?
- Resume: A current resume is required.
- 30 credits in the subject field in which you intend to teach
International20095 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 701 USD per credit during 18 months.
National20095 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 701 USD per credit during 18 months.
Living costs for Montclair
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.