The Guidance and Counseling program of Loyola Marymount University is ideal for candidates interested in working in higher education settings in positions such as college counselors or advisors. Should a candidate in this track later wish to pursue the M.A. Counseling degree with one of its associated specializations, most of the coursework taken in the M.A. in Guidance and Counseling program will apply. Please note: Returning to add the PPS credential post-graduation must be done within five (5) years.
As a result of this training program, students will:
- Apply effective counseling strategies to meet the diverse academic, social, emotional, and career needs of students in post-secondary institutions
- Counsel students in post-secondary institutions individually using appropriate theoretical approaches to address students' academic readiness, language proficiency, cultural background, and individual development
- Counsel students in post-secondary institutions in group settings using group facilitation skills and appropriate theoretical approaches to address students' academic readiness, language proficiency, cultural background, and individual development
- Evaluate post-secondary students using suitable/pertinent assessment measures based on the purpose of the measuring instrument and identified counseling need
- Implement prevention and intervention strategies for diverse students in post-secondary institutions based on scientific research and program evaluations
- Consult effectively with students in post-secondary institutions; with peers and colleagues; and with appropriate staff in order to improve student functioning
- Exemplify the main dimensions of personal growth and dispositions central to successful counseling, including self-awareness, self-care, and self-reflection
- Apply and implement the ethical codes related to the specific field of counseling within which one works (e.g., ACA Code of Ethics, ASCA ethical standards, LPCC ethical codes)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Counseling Theories and Techniques
- Research Methodology and Statistics
- Career Counseling and Educational Planning
- Crisis and Trauma Counseling
- Multicultural Counseling
- Group Counseling
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the first term of their enrollment.
DisciplinesCounselling Educational Psychology View 982 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Graduate Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- 2 sealed, Official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Technology Form
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance (COC)
- Statement of Intent
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units is required.
- For applicants who completed an undergraduate/graduate degree outside of the U.S.A.: transcript evaluations, TOEFL (100 minimum score) or IELTS (7 minimum score)
International16680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16680 USD per year during 12 months.
National16680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16680 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.