An interdisciplinary subject by nature, we will help you to apply mathematical concepts and methods to the ever-changing worlds of science, engineering, business, digital technology and industry, and particularly to communication theory, mathematical physics and financial mathematics, where some of our key research interests lie.
The skills you gain will open up a range of career options and provide a solid foundation if you wish to progress to a PhD. You will be guided by renowned specialists in the field who publish in internationally competitive journals and work closely with partners in industry.
Our graduates from the Mathematics for Applications programme at Royal Holloway University of London have gone on to carry out cutting-edge research in the fields of communication theory and cryptography, as well as successful careers in industries such as: information security, IT consultancy, banking and finance, higher education and telecommunication.
They have taken up roles such as: Principal Information Security Consultant at Abbey National PLC; Senior Manager at Enterprise Risk Services, Deloitte & Touche; Global IT Security Director at Reuters; and Information Security Manager at London Underground.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory of Error-Correcting Codes
- Advanced Cipher System
- Public Key Cryptography
- Applications of Field Theory
- Quantum Information and Coding
- Principles of Algorithm Design
- Advanced Financial Mathematics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no deadlines for postgraduate applications, but popular degrees become full quickly.
DisciplinesMathematics Financial Mathematics Actuarial Science View 123 other Masters in Actuarial Science in United Kingdom
2:1 in Mathematics as a main field of study and good marks in relevant courses.
- Normally we require a UK 2:1 (Honours) or equivalent in relevant subjects but we will consider high 2:2 or relevant work experience. Candidates with professional qualifications in an associated area may be considered. Where a ‘good 2:2’ is considered, we would normally define this as reflecting a profile of 57% or above. Exceptionally, at the discretion of the course director, qualifications in other subjects (for example, physics or computer science) or degrees of lower classification may be considered.
International16800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Royal Holloway Principal's Masters scholarship
- Bedford Society scholarship
- RHBNC Trust scholarship
- American Foundation of RHBNC International Excellence scholarship
- Brian Harris scholarship
- Royal Holloway is committed to supporting and developing the next generation of researchers. We recognise funding is often an obstacle for talented students, so we offer a variety of funding packages which include studentships funded by the College, the Research Councils and external partners.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.