Clinical research has generated tremendous knowledge on diagnosis and treatment. However, it does not provide sufficient information to determine what treatment works best, for whom, and under which conditions. Comparative Effectiveness Research addresses these issues by identifying the most effective interventions for specific patient groups. It is a growing area of cutting-edge research that is elevated to the level of national initiative in the USA.
Indeed, comparative effectiveness research can fill evidence gaps created by missing or incomplete evidence. It has clearly become a major field aimed at helping clinical decision-making, supporting evidence-based medicine and improving the healthcare system.
Our Public Health: Comparative Effectiveness Research at Paris Descartes University tackles several topics, including:
- Innovative designs in randomized controlled trials
- Causality in observational studies
- Diagnostic tests, biomarkers and screening
- Stratified or precision medicine
- Big data & routinely collected data
- Meta-analysis of randomised trials
- Meta-analysis of diagnostic studies
- Network meta-analysis
- Evidence synthesis
This new Master of Science is delivered in English and aims at international students who want to acquire interdisciplinary skills to evolve in the field of Comparative Effectiveness Research. The programme is limited to 30 students, a small group size that will allow professors to use highly interactive and innovative teaching methods including work in small groups. The goal of the programme is to acquire strong skills in methods, epidemiology, clinical epidemiology, biostatistics and public health.
The following career paths could be pursued after the completion of the current Master’s programme: continuation into a PhD degree, joining research agencies (R&D), NGOs, think-tanks, government or international agencies working on health issues, and many other professional opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Methods in randomized controlled trials (general principles of pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatments, specific designs: cluster, N of one, large simple trials)
- Methods in diagnostic tests, biomarkers, and screening evaluation
- Methods of observational studies in comparative effectiveness research
- Methods in systematic reviews and meta-analysis (systematic review of randomized trials, individual patient data meta-analysis, systematic review of observational studies, systematic review of diagnostic tests)
- Network meta-analysis
- Comparative effectiveness research and personalized or stratified medicine
- Routinely collected data in comparative effectiveness research
- Comparative effectiveness research case studies
This is a unique opportunity to get a specialized Master in CER offered by top-level professors coming from Paris Descartes University, Paris Diderot University but also from the best European universities such as Amsterdam University, Danube University Krems, the University of Bern, Oxford University, Queen’s University Belfast, Manchester University, and York University.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Public Health Health Sciences View 13 other Masters in Health Sciences in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applicants must meet minimum requirements to enroll in the Master’s programme:
- Hold a Master’s degree or first year Master’s degree (M1, MS) in related fields such as epidemiology, biostatistics, public health, mathematics;
- or successful completion of 4 years of study in epidemiology, biostatistics, public health, mathematics or related fields;
- Proficiency in English language.
International243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 12 months.
€243 + CVEC €92
Living costs for Paris
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.