- The English Education program offered by Western Carolina University will provide you with coursework in lesson planning, teaching methods and other skills necessary to thrive in the classroom and receive a teaching licensure. Students will also expand their knowledge of English and literature from Western Carolina University’s award-winning, well-published faculty. The program requires applicants to provide a senior level analytic essay that synthesizes multiple sources and articulates arguments.
- The M.A.T. in English is is a 42-semester hour program that will develop your skills as a teacher and increase your understanding of English. Students will take courses like Foundations of Teacher Leadership in a Diverse Society; Child and Adolescent Development; Methods of Teaching Literature; and Linguistic Perspectives. The program also includes practical experience during an semester-long internship paired with a seminar course. Successful completion of the program leads to recommendation of licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- WCU’s M.A.T. graduates will be eligible to teach English in grades 9-12. The National Education Association states the average salary for North Carolina public school teachers is $47,783 for the 2014-15 school year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is projecting a 6% increase in high school teacher hirings by 2022. There are also a number of opportunities across the nation and internationally for primary and secondary teachers.
English Education curriculum include:
- Foundations of Teacher Leadership in a Diverse Society
- Assessment of Instruction
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Teaching Exceptional Learners in Inclusive Classrooms
- Advanced Studies in Teacher Leadership
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
One Week Prior to the Start of Term
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 1018 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts: Applicants who earned a degree from an institution outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated by an accepted foreign credential evaluation service
- Standardized Tests: GRE, GMAT, or other standardized test results
- Language Proficiency: Official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required for applicants from countries where English is not the primary language.
International20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5015 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Cullowhee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.