- The Biology Education program leads to a recommendation for an initial and advanced license from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Students will also expand their biology background in the classroom and diverse ecosystems like the Great Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Coweeta Hydrological Laboratory. This program requires applicants to provide evidence of research such as an undergraduate thesis of an in-depth research paper.
- The M.A.T. in Biology is is a 42-semester hour program that will develop your skills as a teacher and increase your understanding of biology. Students will take courses like Foundations of Teacher Leadership in a Diverse Society; Child and Adolescent Development; Advanced Science Methods; and Methods for Teaching in Content Areas. The program also includes practical experience during an semester-long internship paired with a seminar course. Successful completion of the program leads to recommendation of licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- Western Carolina University’s M.A.T. graduates will be eligible to teach biology in grades 9-12. The National Education Association states the average salary for North Carolina public school teachers is $47,783 for the 2014-15 school year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is projecting a 6% increase in high school teacher hirings by 2022. There are also a number of opportunities across the nation and internationally for primary and secondary teachers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Biology Education curriculum include:
- Foundations of Teacher Leadership in a Diverse Society
- Assessment of Instruction
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Teaching Exceptional Learners in Inclusive Classrooms
- Advanced Studies in Teacher Leadership
- Methods of Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
One Week Prior to the Start of Term
DisciplinesEducation Biology View 3550 other Masters in Education in United States
- Transcripts: Applicants who earned a degree from an institution outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated by an accepted foreign credential evaluation service
- Standardized Tests: GRE, GMAT, or other standardized test results
- Language Proficiency: Official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required for applicants from countries where English is not the primary language.
International20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5015 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Cullowhee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.