At the Bioinformatics programme at the Wageningen University and Research focuses on the practical application of Bioinformatics. Depending on previous BSc degree, candidates are requested to follow supplementary introduction courses. Students with BSc in Computer Science follow courses in molecular biology and students with BSc in Life Science courses on programming and computer science.
Future career - Bioinformatics from Wageningen University and Research
This is a new field, thus we have no hard data on the follow-up. It is however anticipated that five years after graduation, about one third will still be employed as a scientist at an University or research center. Others will choose for a career at research-oriented pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies.
Examples of positions (not being a PhD position) and companies of graduates of the MBF program are:
- Bioinformatician (Nutricia, NIOO, Exp. cardiology UMCG, LUMC, Prinses Maxima centrum voor kinder oncologie, DDL diagnostics laboratory, Rijk Zwaan, Bejo zaden, Illumina, DDL diagnostics laboratory)
- Software developer (GenDx, iPerform software, Redhat, CM.com)
- Data scientist (DuPont, Bio-Prodict, Hyve)
- Programmer (Proigia)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Data science
- Elementary bioinformatics tools
- Molecular Systems Biology
- Advanced bioinformatics courses
- Systems biology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Sept: Application via Studielink will open in October
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 5 other Masters in Health Informatics in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A WUR BSc degree in Animal Sciences, Biotechnology, Molecular Life Sciences, Plant Sciences, a Dutch BSc in Biology (with CROHO 56860 or 59325), or equivalent.
- The norm for this equivalence is an assessment of the student’s expertise in one or more of the following topics: Bioinformatics, Computer sciences, Programming skills, Life sciences (with at least biochemistry and molecular biology), Biology (cell biology, microbiology, genetics), Chemistry (biochemistry). And both the following topics: Mathematics (algebra), Statistics (normal and binomial distribution)
- Transcript of records displaying the content of previous course subjects and project work;
- Curriculum vitae displaying relevant work, internship and/or project experience on an academic level in a relevant field if applicable.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19600 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2314 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2314 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Wageningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.