At the Bioinformatics programme at Wageningen University and Research focuses on the practical application of Bioinformatics. Depending on previous BSc degree, candidates are requested to follow supplementary introduction courses. Students with BSc in Computer Science follow courses in molecular biology and students with BSc in Life Science courses on programming and computer science.
Future career - Bioinformatics from Wageningen University and Research
This is a new field, thus we have no hard data on the follow-up. It is however anticipated that five years after graduation, about one third will still be employed as a scientist at an University or research center. Others will choose for a career at research-oriented pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies.
Examples of positions (not being a PhD position) and companies of graduates of the MBF program are:
- Bioinformatician (Nutricia, NIOO, Exp. cardiology UMCG, LUMC, Prinses Maxima centrum voor kinder oncologie, DDL diagnostics laboratory, Rijk Zwaan, Bejo zaden, Illumina, DDL diagnostics laboratory)
- Software developer (GenDx, iPerform software, Redhat, CM.com)
- Data scientist (DuPont, Bio-Prodict, Hyve)
- Programmer (Proigia)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The curriculum commences with training in programming, data science and elementary bioinformatics tools aimed at using existing software to collect, analyze and interpret DNA and protein sequence information and moves on to more open challenges. Afterwards students follow Molecular Systems Biology.
- Advanced bioinformatics courses deal with structural and functional genomics, transcriptomics and DNA array technology data, as well as algorithm development and machine learning. Alternatively, students can focus on systems biology.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Sept: Application via Studielink will open in October
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics View 72 other Masters in Biology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bioinformatics seeks solutions to biological problems through systematic analysis of large sets of bio-data. Students who want to enrol in the Msc programme Bioinformatics therefore must have at least a Bsc degree of equivalent in, bioinformatics, molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, or a related field in life sciences or computer science.
- Enrolment is possible with BSc degree in Bioinformatics, Life Science or Computer Science. An admission committee will judge applications on an individual basis. Read the Admission Requirements for details on the admission procedure and application forms.
- A bachelor degree or equivalent in a field of science relevant to your selected programme.
- Sufficient academic performance throughout your BSc degree, as shown by an average unweighted mark that meets the required minimum, as determined in the International credentials evaluation guide.
- Meet our English language requirements (see below).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17616 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17616 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Wageningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.