Global Development Studies from Saint Mary’s University belongs to a number of international graduate research consortia which amplify considerably the scope of potential supervision for graduate student thesis research projects, and has a nationally recognized Speakers Series in which graduate students are provided with the opportunity to hear and converse with leading researchers in the field.
Employers of IDS graduates include:
- The federal government (Canadian International Development Agency, International Development Research Centre, Foreign Affairs, Industry, Trade, intelligence agencies, immigration services),
- Multilateral development agencies (United Nations, World Bank, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development),
- Parastatal corporations (non-governmental organizations like Oxfam, Right to Play, Plenty Canada, Development and Peace),
- IDS graduates also enter professions such as teaching, journalism, development planning, public administration and business.
- International Justice
- Contemporary Development Planning
- Special Topics in International Development
- Field Research in Development
- Environment and Development
- International Comparative Education
- 16 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business View 51 other Masters in International Business in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a statement that outlines the applicant’s area of interest in international development studies and any experience or studies which have prepared the applicant to pursue graduate studies in this area,
- a sample of the applicant’s written work,
- three recommendation forms from individuals who can attest to the applicant’s academic preparedness for graduate studies in international development, and
- a complete curriculum vitae.
- Honours baccalaureate undergraduate degree (or equivalent) with a minor concentration in Global Development Studies or a relevant social science; or a baccalaureate undergraduate degree in addition to relevant practical experience in the field of international development.
International16751 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16751 CAD per year during 16 months.
National7564 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7564 CAD per year during 16 months.
Living costs for Halifax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.