The inter-university Master in Musicology at Free University of Bozen-Bolzano is designed to provide an in-depth knowledge of the history of Western music as an art and science. Theoretical and critical reflection in respect of traditional techniques and traditions and also in relation to the other arts, are an integral part of the coursework.
The program offers a structured range of accessible topics, in particular focussed on aspects of historical musicology (directed towards the achievement of knowledge and historical-philological and analytical methods of investigation), pedagogy and teaching of music and musicology (which explores music as a specific feature means of personal development and as a specific subject of education, teaching and research) and musical traditions (through the deepening of knowledge, preservation, management and appreciation of the legacy of cultures in relation to their musical assets), with special emphasis on musical performance and the oral tradition as useful elements for the understanding of theoretical, historical, philological and pedagogical topics.
- Career prospects can be found in the following areas
- advanced research in the field of musical subjects;
- working with extensive responsibility in specialized publishing houses and in public and private companies which are active in the specific subject area;
- working with extensive accountability in the conservation and restoration of musical texts and scores in Library Archives;
- working with great liability in Sound libraries and in the field of entertainment and communication.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Music Education / Community Music
- Music Paleography and Philology
- Cultural Anthropology
- German Literature
- Internship and other activities
- Optional subjects
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Early Bird (for EU and non-EU citizens): 2 March - 28 April
Late Application (for EU citizens only): 20 May - 31 August
DisciplinesMusic Music History
- the diploma of their qualification: those not yet in possession of the diploma can upload it upon enrolment at the very latest;
- an official translation of the qualification into Italian (not necessary for qualifications in German or English);
- the Diploma supplement, in the case they have achieved their university title in a Member State of the European Union (or in Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland). In the Diploma supplement it must be indicated:
- that the student has achieved at least 180 credit points (ECTS) and
- that the study title gives access to a Master course. In case of doubt, unibz reserves the right to request further documents (e.g. declaration of equivalent value);
International1350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1350 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1350 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.