The Master of Arts in Mathematics Teaching degree (MAMT) offered through Mount Holyoke College’s Mathematics Leadership Programs, a division of the Professional and Graduate Education department, is designed for teachers, teacher-leaders and math coaches of grades K – 8 who have a teaching license (initial or professional) and at least a bachelor degree. The program is ideal for educators looking to strengthen their skills as math teachers or would like to develop their professional credentials in order to become qualified as Math Specialists.
Math Specialists provide a full range of support to the teachers in their school districts by: offering coaching programs or in-class support for teachers; designing and facilitating professional development seminars; interpreting data from a variety of student and district assessments; participating in district decision-making regarding the system plan for math instruction; and developing local assessment and evaluation instruments. The MAMT degree offers teachers of grades K -8 the opportunity to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to take on these important professional responsibilities.
This program is built around the latest research and best practices in math education today. The core component of the work is the Developing Mathematical Ideas Curriculum. The two-and-a-half-year program involves three intensive summer sessions (3 weeks each) and two academic years of online work.
Each summer will consist of 3 weeks of courses, 2 focused on mathematics and 1 focused on educational leadership.
- Building a System of Tens
- Making Meaning for Operations
- Research on Learning: Implementing the CCSSM
- Measuring Space in One, Two, Three Dimensions
- Educational Leadership I: Mathematics Coaching and Mentoring
- Examining Features of Shape
- Patterns, Funcitons, and Change
- Education Leadership II: Facilitating Professional Development
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- No Attendance
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesMathematics View 565 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- General information about the applicant
- Scholarship essay (if applying)
- Resume or CV
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- Additional information (optional)
International9920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24800 USD for the full programme and a duration of 30 months.
National9920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24800 USD for the full programme and a duration of 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.