During the Music - Instrumental, Vocal Composition pathway programme offered by the University of Birmingham, instruction in practical aspects - for example advanced orchestration, post-serial and post-spectral techniques, computer-assisted composition - is combined with the development of theoretical knowledge and critical faculties.
Birmingham's Music postgraduates work in a wide range of careers within and beyond the music world. A postgraduate degree in Music develops a broad base of skills including general skills such as communication, problem solving and research, and also specific skills developed by practice and performance such as self-management, team work and presentation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Studies in Electroacoustic Composition 1 and 2
- Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art
- British Music Studies 1850-1975
- Contemporary Music Studies
- Experimental Music and Sound Art
- Fieldwork Methods
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic Music History General Studies & Classics View 47 other Masters in Music History in United Kingdom
We usually ask for a good Honours degree (2:1), or equivalent, in Music or a related subject with a substantial musical component. Degrees in other subjects will be considered where candidates have significant professional musical experience and relevant qualifications.
- Your application should include a personal statement of approximately 5,000 characters. You should use your personal statement to explain why you are interested in studying this programme. In order to expedite processing, please clearly state the pathway to which you are applying within the first paragraph of your personal statement.
- All prospective students for pathways in composition must also submit a portfolio of 3–4 compositions, showcasing your range of styles and compositional technique.
International19440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19440 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Part-time fees: UK: 4,750 GBP per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.