In the second year, students work with faculty to write their Master’s thesis. At the end of the M.A. program, students present an oral defense of their thesis.
The Film Studies program offered by Chapman University is unique because it is a research based Master’s degree where students develop an original thesis with strong support from faculty. Faculty have mentored student theses on such topics as film and television theory, politics and film, women in film, American cinema, Asian cinema, media historiography, film archiving and preservation, archival and primary research, psychoanalysis and cinema, transnational cinema, and new media studies. Graduates of the program have continued on to pursue the following: teaching positions in community colleges and high schools, enrollment in Ph.D. programs, film criticism and journalism, film festival programming, film archiving and preservation.
Students have the opportunity to apply for conference funding and research support, which can be connected to the workshop of their M.A. thesis. In addition, students can apply for competitive research assistantships.
In mastering the curriculum of the M.A. in Film Studies, students will:
- Identify different theoretical approaches to film studies and apply them to analyze film(s)
- Compare different filmmaking traditions of national/regional cinemas in a global context
- Apply primary research skills at archives and libraries for a historical analysis paper
- Construct a thesis project that engages with major research/analytical tools of the discipline
- Film Theory and Criticism
- Survey of American Cinema
- Survey of World Cinema
- Film Historiography
- Contemporary Television Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Liberal Arts View 749 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Intent
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Creative Supplement
- Official copy of your undergraduate transcript from your degree-granting institution
International26640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1480 USD per credit during 24 months.
National26640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1480 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.