Working under the mentorship of industry active screenwriters, you’ll learn to write content for the screen in a variety of mediums including short and long form projects, episodic television and emerging media.
Additionally, as a student in the M.F.A. Screenwriting program at Chapman University, you will study the “business of the business” - the practical side of developing and selling your ideas. Students enrolled in the program also have the opportunity to collaborate with their film production colleagues to have one of their scripts produced for the screen. Upon graduation, you’ll have an understanding of how the industry works as well as several developed scripts.
In mastering the curriculum of the M.F.A. in Screenwriting, students will gain competence in the following areas:
- Demonstrate competency with industry standard writing style and presentation.
- Identify, create and write fully dimensional, complex, and dynamic characters.
- Write screenplays that demonstrate a distinctive personal voice in a variety of formats and genres.
- Write short and feature length screenplays which demonstrate effective storytelling craft and narrative structure for a variety of genres.
- Apply the theoretical concepts to the creation of distinctive and original screenplays.
- Fundamentals of Screenwriting
- Production Workshop
- Film Script Analysis
- Feature Screenwriting
- The Short Film Form
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Creative Writing Liberal Arts View 378 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Intent
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Creative Supplement
- Official copy of your undergraduate transcript from your degree granting institution
International48336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24168 USD per semester during 24 months.
National48336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24168 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.