The Film and Television Producing three-year program offered by Chapman University provides a broad education of business in general and how it all works. As part of the M.B.A. component, you’ll study business concepts such as economics, accounting, marketing and financial management. These concepts will then be applied to student productions when you begin the M.F.A. program in your second year.
As part of the M.F.A. degree, you’ll study the fundamentals of producing. You’ll also come away with a deep understanding of film and television financing, marketing, distribution and exhibition, as well an awareness of the global business environment. You’ll put these skills to good use as you develop your M.F.A. thesis project — an original short film or media production you’ve personally produced.
Upon graduation, you’ll have a project portfolio, along with a thesis book for a proposed film or media production that includes detailed plans for rights acquisition, story development, pitching, budgeting, packaging, marketing, distribution and exhibition.
M.F.A. in Film and Television Producing:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to identify, develop and market creative material appropriate for film, television and the internet.
- Through critical essay and writing assignments, students demonstrate an understanding of the development of film language, including aesthetic perspectives.
- Through closely-mentored projects, students demonstrate the knowledge and collaborative skills necessary to produce a film or media project from start to finish.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the business elements of producing, including production management, intellectual property, rights and issues, financing, marketing and distribution.
- Each student will effectively apply paradigms and theories in accounting, economics, finance, management, marketing and operations to solve business problems.
- Each student will possess the quantitative and technical skills to analyze data, interpret results and propose defensible solutions for improving business performance.
- Each student will be able to evaluate the economic potential of business opportunities, devise actionable strategies, and communicate recommendations persuasively.
- Evolution of Narrative Film
- Strategies for Competitive Advantage
- Economic Analysis for Business
- Accounting and Financial Analysis
- Statistics for Business Decisions
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Visual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 750 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Statement of Intent
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Creative Supplement
- Official copy of your undergraduate transcript from your degree granting institution
International48336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24168 USD per semester during 36 months.
National48336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24168 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.