Whether you’re interested in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, screenwriting or a combination of genres, the MFA at Chapman University invites you to write better than you ever thought you could.
The exciting coursework ranges across literary and critical studies, creative writing, journalism, rhetoric and composition, digital humanities, creative and cultural industries, and linguistics. Our vibrant programs beyond the classroom include the John Fowles Center for Creative Writing, Tabula Poetica, the Chapman University-Orange High School Young Writers Workshop, Pub(lishing) Crawl, and WordTheatre, all of which host events open to the public.
If you’re interested in applying to our MFA program or collaborating with our creative writing faculty or students, feel free to contact us. We’d be happy to talk with you.
Your Writing Comes First
- Various genre options for students, including Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Screenwriting, and Experimental Writing.
- Each MFA student's degree program culminates in a book–length thesis project of distinction.
- Our MFA alums find employment in related fields of writing, marketing, and teaching and are publishing their work in journals, magazines, and books.
- Techniques in Writing Fiction
- Techniques in Poetry Writing
- Advanced Workshop in Poetry Writinga
- Advanced Workshop in Writing Fiction
- Advanced Workshop in Creative Nonfiction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts Linguistics View 611 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Official transcripts from ALL degree-granting (bachelor’s or master’s degrees) colleges and universities attended. An official transcript submitted in a sealed envelope which you have received from your college or university is acceptable.
- An essay expressing your reasons for wanting to join the particular academic program to which you are applying. What are your personal and career goals, and how will this particular degree from Chapman University help you reach those goals? Your essay should be double spaced, size 12 font and 1–2 pages in length.
- Two letters of recommendation that speak to your academic preparation, intellectual ability, and aptitude for graduate study.
- A portfolio of creative work
International32100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1070 USD per credit during 12 months.
National32100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1070 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.