You'll normally have a professional, employment or voluntary work interest in addiction but will not necessarily be a graduate. However, if you have an interest in the psychology of addiction and seeking a career in counselling, you'll have particular interest in this programme.
Some work experience in health, community and social services settings is normally required, and it is expected that in the first year you'll seek experience in appropriate work settings related to addiction. In the second year students must have a counselling placement sufficient to provide 100 hours of supervised practice before entering the final year. Learn more with the Addiction Psychology and Counselling programme at London South Bank University .
There is a rapidly increasing demand for addiction counsellors in health and social services and a variety of community settings. Students may apply to the Alcohol Research (UK) for financial support to cover the cost of fees.
Employers are also frequently prepared to give financial support to those counsellors, nurses, social and community workers and others whose employment involves working with those who are experiencing problems associated with addiction.
Accredited by the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Professionals (FDAP).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theoretical foundations of addiction and counselling psychology
- Therapeutic counselling theory and practice
- Professional practice in addiction counselling
- Advanced addiction psychology
- Advanced theory and practice in therapeutic counselling
- Research methods in professional practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences Counselling View 1688 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Typical applicants are working within drug/alcohol or related fields, with the intellectual competence to work at postgraduate level, and demonstrable character strengths for counselling. Desirably, you would have previous training in psychology/counselling and an inclination towards research.
- Prospective students will need demonstrable ability to undertake work at a Masters level. For example Honours degree or professional qualifications at 2:2 level/Bachelor degree equivalent to UK Second Class Honours Lower Division/ Plus relevant experience indicative of a motivation to specialise in the addictions area.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7450 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
If you are starting a Masters course, studying either full- or part-time, you may be entitled to apply for a postgraduate study loan.
We offer several types of fee reduction through our scholarships and bursaries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.