In this concentration, learn how women's health and various sexualities are shaped by cultural beliefs and practices, economic and political systems, medical establishments, reproductive technologies, media, religion and social movements. Examine how these forces affect women differently depending on their race, class, age, sexual orientation and nationality.
The interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary graduate program in women's and gender studies provides you with a solid academic foundation to pursue your goals. As the only applied master's program in women's and gender studies in Maryland and the only master's program in the field in Baltimore, the program emphasizes applied research methods and skills, preparing you for careers in a variety of public and private organizations both national and international, profit and nonprofit.
You need not wait until graduation to apply your knowledge. Research and internship opportunities are available in Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, and the surrounding region. If you seek workplace experience but cannot devote the time for a full internship, consider the field experience, a 3-unit internship. After completing the required core course work in theory, diversity, and applied research methods and skills, you work closely with an adviser to design your degree program.
Why Women's and Gender Studies at Towson University ?
Small classes taught by experienced faculty give you a real opportunity to interact with your instructors and fellow classmates.
The beautiful 322-acre campus is in close proximity to nation’s leading policymakers and institutions and agencies that promote equality and diversity.
The master’s program offers graduate students the opportunity to travel to professional conferences to present papers. A limited number of travel grants are available each academic year.
- The Diversity Of Women
- Advanced Feminist Theory
- Applied Research Methods And Skills
- Women In An International Context
- Anthropology Of Gender
- Globalization In Cross-culture Perspective
- Women, Environment And Health
- Topics In Women's Studies
- The Erotic Imagination In Christianity And Hinduism
- Special Topics In Womens Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies View 113 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university** (as certified by an official transcript) with a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.00, and 2.75 for conditional admission. GPA calculations for admission are based upon the last 60 units of undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study.
- Nine units earned at the baccalaureate level in Women’s and Gender Studies and/or the Social Sciences (Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Economics or a social science-based interdisciplinary course). Three (3) of these nine (9) units must include one course in Women’s and Gender Studies.
International39780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1105 USD per credit during 12 months.
National39780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1105 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State22068 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 613 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Towson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.