You'll also work with students specialising in a wide range of languages and use specialist software to produce multilingual translation projects.
You’ll work between English and one or two languages, including Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish. You’ll also have the chance to study modules informed by research taking place at our Centre for Translation Studies on topics such as machine translation, corpus linguistics, interpreting and genre analysis.
The Audiovisual Translation and Localisation course from University of Leeds equips you with valuable practical skills, underpinned by a solid theoretical foundation. You’ll also develop advanced skills in IT, research, communication and analysis that are very valuable to employers.
Many of our students go straight into practice with their project management or translation skills, whether they work in large organisations, small or medium-sized language service providers, or as freelance translators and audiovisual translators. Others pursue related careers in language services. Our graduates work in organisations such as the UN and affiliated organisations, the European Parliament and the European Commission, commercial enterprises and NGOs.
- Methods and Approaches in Translation Studies
- Strategies and Tools in Audiovisual Translation
- Translation Technologies and Workflows
- Subtitling and Respeaking for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Audiences
- Specialised French-English Translation
- Specialised German-English Translation
- Specialised Italian-English Translation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons). We welcome applicants from a diverse range of subject disciplines. Other relevant qualifications or experience may also be considered, such as professional/work/voluntary experience. Applicants will undertake translation tests in their chosen language/s.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.