At a Glance
You will be taught by a team of widely published creative writers including award-winning poets and fiction writers David Wheatley, Helen Lynch and Wayne Price.
You can take this degree as a stand-alone one-year or two-year part time Masters degree or as a first step towards an MPhil or PhD (subject to admission to further degree programmes either at Aberdeen or elsewhere). It is likely to appeal to you if you wish to develop your knowledge and practical skill in imaginative writing and if you wish to create a solid foundation on which to build a PhD research proposal in Creative Writing.
Graduates of the Creative Writing programme of the University of Aberdeen are well-fitted for work in the creative industries, including publishing, journalism, advertising, broadcasting and literary agency. Many graduates go on to support their writing through education too and there is a growing demand for English teachers with a track record in creative writing skills and the ability to reflect on and communicate those accomplishments.
- Creative Writing I: Poetry
- Creative Writing III: Non - Fiction
- The Novel: Environments and Encounters
- Irish and Scottish Romanticism
- Public Engagement for Arts
- Approaching Literature
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 223 other Masters in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
- UK applicants should normally have a 2.1 or above, though applicants with non-standard qualifications are also invited to apply. References are not required in order for applicants to submit an application. They are not usually required in order for a decision to be made but in certain cases applicants may be asked to provide a single academic reference at the request of the academic selector.
- In addition to the above, a creative writing sample is required as part of your application.
- English Language Requirements
International22400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.