Individual, group, and family therapy, as well as medication management are important components of the curriculum. Graduates of the Nursing, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner program from Fairfield University work in a wide variety of settings, including private practice, home care, emergency rooms, integrated behavioral clinics, extended care facilities, residential treatment centers, and community mental health centers.
Career & Professional Opportunities
- In Fairfield's Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program, you'll develop skills to provide care for adults from diverse ethnic and socioeconomic groups in a wide variety of settings: in-patient, community-based, and private practice.
- You'll learn to care for patients with a variety of mental disorders, including mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and thought disorders.
- You'll also have the opportunity to develop expertise in caring for special populations, such as substance abuse, elderly, or forensic mental health.
- As a graduate, you'll be prepared to work as clinical faculty in undergraduate nursing programs. After one year of practice, you'll be prepared to serve as a preceptor for graduate students in psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner programs.
- Healthcare Leadership Roles for Systems Improvement
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Advanced Healthcare Policy
- Research Methods for Evidenced-Based Practice
- Information Technology for Healthcare Improvement
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Advanced Pharmacology
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Public Health Nursing View 763 other Masters in Nursing in United States
- Applicants for the MS in Nursing, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program must hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a regionally accredited college or university (or the international equivalent) with a quality point average of 3.0 or higher preferred. RN applicants who have a non-nursing bachelor's degree will be considered on an individual basis and may be required to complete select prerequisites to be eligible for admission to the MSN program.
- A Completed application
- A Non-refundable $65 application fee made payable to Fairfield University (paid by credit card if applying online).
- A Professional Resume. Applicants are required to submit a current resume that includes employment and education history.
- An Admission Essay
- Two Recommendation Forms and Letters, one of which must be from a current supervisor or professor.
- Copy of current RN License to practice in the state of Connecticut.
International25437 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 925 USD per credit during 24 months.
National25437 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 925 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Fairfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.