Our fully accredited graduate composition program is tailored for those with undergraduate preparation and exceptional promise in writing music. Gain critical and theoretical knowledge in music composition, theory, history, research and technique. And do it all with the help of accomplished faculty with years of experience in the field.
You'll have opportunities to have your creative work presented during campus-sponsored concerts and state and regional conferences.
The Music Composition program from Central Michigan University, prepares you for many careers in music composition, performance and education. Alumni have gone on to work for music publishing companies like Montoya Music and ADJ Publishers.
Others have earned doctorates and secured tenure-track positions at places like Texas Christian University and the University of North Texas. And others have their works performed at conferences and festivals like the Midwest Clinic and Texas Music Educators Association.
Careers & Outcomes
Our master of music in composition graduates are equipped for a number of fulfilling careers in composing, scoring, teaching, academia, arts administration and more.
The composition degree is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- Seminar in Compositional Techniques
- Music Theory Pedagogy
- Survey of Piano Literature
- History of Opera
- Song Repertoire
- Choral Masterworks
- Wind Band Literature
- Rock 'n 'Roll Seminar
- Seminar in World Music
- Seminar in the Music of a Selected Composer
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
National deadline: Rolling admission
DisciplinesMusic Music Composition View 121 other Masters in Music Composition in United States
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Along with the application, you’ll need to submit a $50 application fee
- Submit a copy of your passport
- Submit proof of English proficiency or your intent to study English upon arrival – unless you are from an exempted country where English is the primary language of instruction.
- You also may demonstrate English proficiency by completing the English studies program through CMU's English Language Institute.
- Applicants must provide a third-party course-by-course credential evaluation and document verification
International12750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 850 USD per credit during 24 months.
National12750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 850 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State10230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 682 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Mount Pleasant
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.