This Master of Professional Language Studies (Language Teaching) from Auckland University of Technology is aimed at teachers who have a preliminary qualification and experience in language teaching. Students are often experienced teachers of ESOL or EFL, te reo, sign language or other languages. Classes are in the late afternoon/early evening to fit around work hours.
You study a range of core and elective topics and then complete a reflective practice project where you identify an area of teaching that you would like to investigate in more depth. You critically review the literature and develop a theory of teaching in this area. In the classroom you apply the theory through a number of teaching events and reflect on your practice.
Graduates will be well-prepared to advance their career in language teaching positions nationally and internationally in:
- Community schools
- High schools (for teachers who already have high school teaching qualifications)
- Private language schools
- Tertiary educational institutions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language Analysis
- The Language Learner
- Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Contemporary Approaches and Issues in Language Teaching
- Reflective Practice Project
- Multilingualism, Diversity and Intercultural Competence
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- International Students: Applications will be processed up to the start of the semester depending on programme availability.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching View 43 other Masters in Language Studies in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
One year of relevant professional experience and one of the following:
- Relevant four-year bachelor’s degree
- Relevant bachelor’s degree with honours
- Relevant postgraduate diploma
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate diploma AND a relevant professional qualification to merit standard or experience approved by the Dean (or representative) to be equivalent to one year of advanced study
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19270 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5289 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5289 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$8,711
- International: NZ$31,647
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.