Urban Planning and Design graduates from Makerere University need to be able to develop the following abilities:
- To enable students from architecture and design disciplines to develop skills and employ their knowledge in developing complex socially, environmentally and economically sustainable urban and spatial planning strategies.
- To use design thinking as a critical, interrogative process through which to explore the broader parameters of the research within a particular situation or environment.
- To conceptualize, define, and analyze design problems and opportunities at the urban scale.
- To analyze and evaluate the performance of design projects and policies.
- To understand the processes which generate urban form.
- To synthesize and manage strategies for implementation in urban planning and design involving public and private development actions.
- To work successfully with the public and the planning and design professions that shape the urban environment.
- To contribute creatively to the resolution of urban problems through design.
- Promote the acquisition of advanced practical and demand driven skills in the area of Urban planning and Design.
- Independently and effectively solve multi-faceted issues of the day to day activities in the field.
- Communicate ideas in clear and compelling ways – visually, orally, and in writing – as is demanded by the urban designer’spublic role.
Target GroupThe programme targets graduates with Honours degree in a discipline related to the built environment and the city (e.g. Architecture, Planning, Surveying, Engineering, Construction Management, Land use Planning, Geography, Landscape Planning/Architecture). Candidates with alternative professional experience may also be considered.
- Planning Theory and Practice
- Planning and Design Fundamentals
- Theory and Methods of Urban Design
- Computer Applications for Planning and Design
- Sustainable Urban Infrastructure Systems
- Research Methodology and Scientific Writing
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To qualify for admission, a candidate must fulfil the general Makerere University entry requirements for a Masters degree, and in addition the candidate must be a holder of either
- A postgraduate diploma in Urban Design, Urban and Regional Planning, Architecture or its equivalent from a recognized University/Institution; OR
- A bachelors degree in Urban/Regional/Physical/Town and Country Planning, Architecture, Landscape Design, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, surveying, or its equivalent from a recognized University/Institution.
- Students who have obtained first and second class degrees should be free to join after completion.
- Students who have obtained pass degree can only join after two years professional working experience and demonstrating professional growth in the relevant field to the degree programme, such as a Post Graduate Diploma or evidence of presenting academic papers in conferences.
International2081 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2081 USD per year during 24 months.
National1300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1300 USD per year during 24 months.
- 5.000.000 Ugandan shillings for national students
- 8.000.000 Ugandan shillings for international students
Living costs for Kampala
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.