One-year MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies (IMARES)
You will examine the past and analyze the most up-to-date events unfolding in the region, learn Russian, and experience life in Russia. Together with other international students you will study and discuss a variety of topics, including foreign policy and security issues in Russia and neighboring countries, history and current events, changing society and reforms, and, of course, Russian culture and arts.
The Russian and Eurasian Studies (IMARES) program of the European University at St. Petersburg is the only program in Russia that gives you the opportunity to
- get an MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies in 1 year;
- select the courses by the leading Russian and international professors and experts in the field;
- design your own individual program from the broad course catalog;
- study in the English language;
- learn and improve your Russian;
- enjoy the life in St. Petersburg - the old imperial capital of Russia;
get an excellent foundation for your career in public service, academia and business.
IMARES program has empowered our alumni to make a career in
- educational institutions in North America, Europe, and Russia;
- research and administrative duties at Thomson Reuters, Elsevier, Smithsonian Institution, libraries and museums, editorial boards of academic journals and publishers;
- journalism at The New York Times, The Moscow Times, etc;
- private and state companies such as IBM, Bank of America, and Boeing;
- government bodies (e.g. foreign embassies, NASA), national or regional councils and parliaments;
- international organizations such as the International Criminal Court, The World Bank, European Commission.
- Russian Foreign Policy
- Russian-American Relations from the Historical Perspective
- Conflict and Cooperation in Eurasia
- Central Asia States: Making, Breaking and Remaking
- Empire and Nationalism in Russia and the Soviet Union
- Russian Political and Social History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Political Science View 20 other Masters in International Relations in Russia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- BA degree. No prior knowledge of Russian is needed
- Scanned copy of your Passport. Your international passport validity period must be at least 6 months following the date you are planning to leave Russia on completing the program
- Scanned copy of your Bachelor's degree diploma (or documentation that proves you will receive your diploma this year)
- Scanned copy of your Academic Transcript
- Your Statement of Purpose (about 500 words, including a statement of goals, research interests and experiences, including the subject of your bachelor thesis)
- Two letters of recommendation from academics who are closely acquainted with your academic work
- Your Curriculum Vitae
International17200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8600 USD per semester during 12 months.
National4654 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2327 USD per semester during 12 months.
- Russian Federation and all former Soviet Union republics: 175,000 RUB per semester
Living costs for Saint Petersburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.