The innovative Dance MFA program at Sam Houston State University is designed to encourage your exploration of interests beyond dance, areas that will inform and facilitate your future artistic and scholarly investigations. Graduates of the Department of Dance are successfully employed around the nation in a variety of careers including performing artists, artistic directors of dance companies, dance educators at all levels and various health care professionals such as physicians, chiropractors, physiotherapists and dance therapists.
As a prospective student interested in joining SHSU's Department of Dance, you are required to complete an audition prior to admission. Please see the Admission Requirements link for an overview of the admissions process.
The Department of Dance at Sam Houston State University offers a 60-hour program of study leading to the Master of Fine Arts degree in Dance, the terminal degree in studio arts. The program is designed to provide intensive studio experience with substantive choreographic and performance opportunities, underscored by a broad exposure to the philosophical, theoretical, and creative process context of dance as an art form. A creative or performance thesis is required for graduation.
The degree normally takes three years to complete. The first year is probationary, allowing both the candidate and the department time to assess the appropriateness of the educational relationship. At the conclusion of the first year the candidate will file the 'Petition for Admission to Candidacy' before moving to the thesis stage of study.
- Dvlpmt Advanced Skills in Dnc
- Smnr in Dance Production
- Theory of Dance
- Laban Movement Analysis
- Dance Pedagogy in Higher Ed
- Research Methods in Dance
- Dance & Integrated Technologies
- Professional Issues in Dance
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 682 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Graduate Studies Online Application submitted online through ApplyTexas with the application fee.
- Transcripts of all previous college work.
- Confirmation of undergraduate degree conferral.
- Resume/curriculum vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Letter of inquiry.
- Submit links to your video portfolio of choreography and performance
- Audition and interview with the dance faculty. Auditions are scheduled on-site. Arrangements can be made for a long-distance audition including a Skype interview if the applicant is not able to come to scheduled auditions. The audition includes:
- Submission of a writing sample.
- Interview with the dance faculty.
- Technique audition in both ballet and modern dance.
- Performance of a self-choreographed solo.
International21840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 728 USD per credit during 24 months.
National21840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 728 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State9600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 320 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Huntsville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.