The Master of Fine Arts program in Creative Writing, Editing, and Publishing at Sam Houston State University is a 48-hour workshop-based residency program that allows you to:
- focus on poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction;
- enjoy intensive instruction with dedicated professors;
- gain practical publishing experience through SHSU's Texas Review Press and Texas Review.
In addition, students participate in writing workshops in fiction and poetry, undertake coursework in literary periods and types, and study critical theory.
M.F.A. candidates present an M.F.A. thesis: a book-length work (minimum 80 pages for poetry and 160 pages for prose—novel, short-story collection, essay collection, or other work of creative non-fiction).
The Specialists degree in School Psychology is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists to ensure high quality school psychology training and services
- Graduate Research: Methods and Theories
- Literary Criticism and Theory
- Creative Writing: Poetry
- Early & Middle English Literacture
- English Linguistics
- History and Development of the English Language
- Early American Literature
- Restoration - 18th Century British Literature
- The Classical Tradition
- Renaissance & Seventeenth-Century British Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Creative Writing Liberal Arts View 850 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Sam Houston State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Graduate Application: The Graduate Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- A statement of purpose, of 500 to 1000 words, articulating the applicant's intentions for pursuing an MFA from our program.
- Transcripts documenting all prior degrees.* (Note: Students with credentials from foreign universities must have their transcripts reviewed by a transcript evaluation service.)
- Three letters of recommendation that discuss the applicant’s potential for success in a creative writing graduate program.
- A creative writing sample of either 20 pages of prose or a collection of 8 - 10 poems.
- International applicants ONLY: Official TOEFL scores
International34944 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 728 USD per credit during 12 months.
National34944 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 728 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State15360 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 320 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Huntsville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.