Students pursuing this concentration typically are musicians who are primarily interested in teaching, rather than a career as a professional performer. Many of these students continue their studies at the Doctoral level and pursue professional teaching careers in their fields.
Graduate Assistantships are available for qualified students. Graduate Assistant duties typically include teaching opportunities in both group and applied settings at the college level.Recent Student Projects:
- When Your Student Cannot See Movement Activities for the Independent Piano Teacher
- Group Lessons for Adult Learners
- Improving the Reading Skills of Aural Learners
- Alternative Reading Methods.
- Teaching Popular Music to High School Students
Performance Pedagogy majors also take classes in Applied Piano, Music Theory, Music History, Keyboard Literature and perform a Graduate Recital.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureMajor Area:
- Internship Recital
- Directed Studies in Performance Pedagogy
- Applied Concentration
- Research and Bibliography
- Analysis of Tonal Music
- Analysis of Twentieth Century Music
- Music Theory Pedagogy
- Survey of Music Theory
- Seminar in Music History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesMusic Music History Teaching View 1003 other Masters in Music in United States
- a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- GRE scores acceptable to the University of Louisiana, Lafayette, Graduate School
- a scholarly paper in music theory and/or analysis (approximately 5 pages minimum)
- samples of written compositions and audio recordings, if student wishes to focus on acoustic composition (not required of students intending to write a theoretical thesis)
- audio and/or audio/visual recordings of work, if student wishes to focus on music media (not required of students intending to write a theoretical thesis)
- a sufficient score on the graduate music theory placement exam
- a sufficient score on an aural skills exam (for students applying to become a graduate assistant in music theory)
International1651 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1651 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1651 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1651 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State1631 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1631 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.