This Children's Book Illustration programme from University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is also suitable for recent design graduates who wish to focus and refine their ideas at a more advanced level.
Although primarily a visual course for artists and illustrators, authorial control over content is also hugely important in the children's book field, so the ability to write creatively and to fuse written and visual content is an important component in the practice of children’s book illustration.
The emphasis of the Children's Book Illustration programme from University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is on the practice of illustration for children’s picture books and story books. At postgraduate level you will be encouraged to pursue an original line of enquiry within your chosen area of children’s book illustration and design.
Why study with us
- Learn to generate ideas and visually problem solve to a deadline whilst forging your own visual vocabulary.
- At the end of the course you will have a body of work produced to a professional and publishable standard.
- Our students have won several national children’s book awards and our alumni have illustrated over 70 published titles so far.
Children’s Book Illustration graduates could enjoy a career as an author/illustrator for children’s books, working as a book designer, or working in the publishing industry.
Most children’s illustrators work as freelancers, often developing their own book ideas, or working as illustrators for hire for UK and International publishing houses.
Some specialise purely in children’s work whereas others work as character and toy designers, animators or as general illustrators working across design and advertising disciplines, as well as in the publishing industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Research
- Design Practice
- Advanced Practice in Childrens's Book Illustration
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Graphic Design Literature View 565 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should hold a 2:2 degree or equivalent professional experience or learning in a related field
- Applications from all candidates will be considered on their merits in the light of the nature and scope of the programme
- A detailed admissions procedure will be forwarded on application
- IELTS: Score of 6.5 or above
- A high level of achievement in undergraduate studies at a university elsewhere such as North America: Minimum overall GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- All applicants are requested to submit digital supporting material and where possible will be invited to attend an interview with a portfolio of recent work
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7100 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time: £785 per 20 credits (UK/EU)
Living costs for Preston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.