Students pursuing the CIE degree select from one of five program concentrations (summarized below) that provide different course requirements and electives.
The CIE MS program and its concentrations, allow students to develop an individualized program of study by selecting from an extensive list of elective courses in conjunction with input from their academic advisor.
After graduating, MS graduates with this degree follow diverse career pathways that include employment in a wide variety of public and private sector jobs, as well as additional education at the doctoral level.
Civil Engineering students at the University at Buffalo SUNY - School of Engineering and Applied Sciences may choose one of the following technical concentrations:
- Bridge Engineering
- Computational Engineering Mechanics
- Geomechanics, Geotechnical, and Geoenironmental Engineering
- Structural and Earthquake Engineering
- Transportation Systems Engineering
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The 30-credit MS program consists of three components (described in detail below): required courses, elective courses, and a culminating thesis, project, or exam. To complete the degree, most students choose the “all-course” option, which consists of six credits of concentration-specific required classes, 24 additional credits of approved elective classes, and a comprehensive exam taken at the end of their final semester.
- Students may also complete (in addition to required classes) a 3-credit MS project and 21 credits of electives OR a 6-credit MS thesis and 18 credits of electives. In all cases, the student’s academic advisor must approve the proposed program of study, including all required and elective courses to be counted towards the degree. For the project and thesis options, a CSEE faculty member must agree to serve as the project/thesis advisor.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering Transportation Engineering View 46 other Masters in Transportation Engineering in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 3.0 GPA based on 4.0 scale in undergraduate coursework
- The Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering is temporarily suspending the GRE requirement for admission to our masters level programs for the Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 entry term.
- Two letters of recommendation (academic sources preferred).
- International applicants: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score (minimum 79, >90 recommended).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 18 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 18 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 18 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In support of the University at Buffalo’s PhD Excellence Initiative, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers competitive, elite fellowship packages designed to attract the best and brightest scholars in the world.
The Presidential Fellowship offers outstanding prospective graduate students an elite fellowship package to the top 10% incoming enrolled doctoral students each academic year. Our competitive packages pay a stipend of up to $43,000 USD per year for up to 4 years and includes summer support. This award also includes a full tuition waiver of $11,310 USD for New York State Residents and $23,100 USD for Non-Residents bringing the total package of support to $54,310-$66,100 dollars per year.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.