The Research Methods in Psychology programme, offered by Goldsmiths, University of London, will appeal to you if you would like to develop your career in experimental research, or to enhance your ability to apply research skills in either the public or the private sector.
The programme will enable you to:
- gain a thorough knowledge of a range of behavioural and social science methodologies
- understand the principles of quantitative and qualitative research
- correctly apply advanced statistical and computing techniques
- enhance your skills in critical analysis and evaluation of research findings
- consider philosophical and ethical issues in relation to science in general and to psychological research in particular
- develop expertise in data collection, handling large data sets and data analysis
- appropriately plan and design, present and evaluate, effective psychological research studies
You also complete a research project leading to a dissertation, and you participate in general research skills training modules with students from other departments at Goldsmiths.
For more than ten years now, the programme has been recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as providing the generic and specific research training required by students in receipt of ESRC studentship awards.
Since 2011, the programme has been the research methods training masters for the psychology pathway within the Goldsmiths and Queen Mary ESRC-funded Doctoral Training Centre (2011-2015).
Students in receipt of an ESRC 1+3 PhD studentship in the psychology pathway have to take this course as the first year of a 4-year PhD programme; students who have completed the Masters self-funded, are eligible to bid for an ESRC funded +3 PhD studentship in the psychology pathway at Goldsmiths or Queen Mary.
The programme aims to equip you with a sound understanding of methods and skills necessary to conduct high-level research in psychology, using a wide range of approaches and techniques.
The programme provides the ideal preparation for a research career. Many students go on to do a PhD, or to conduct experimental research in a wide variety of settings.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Qualitative Methods in Psychology
- Critical Analysis
- Research Design and Analysis
- Statistical Methods
- Theoretical Issues in Psychology
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology View 551 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- You should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class standard in a relevant subject area.
- You might also be considered for some programmes if you aren’t a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
International20250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8620 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8620 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.