LSTM education courses are taught within a dynamic environment by staff working at the cutting-edge of research in tropical medicine and global health. They are designed to enable the professional development of the student, to be relevant to students from both the UK and overseas and to promote approaches to study that will enable students to continue their learning into the future.
This Tropical Disease Biology programme from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine aims to:
- Equip students with the knowledge and practical skills needed to develop a career in research, training or control of vector-borne diseases, pathogens, parasites, and organisms of importance to public health with particular emphasis on tropical and resource-poor regions of the world.
- Provide practical experience of a range of specialised technical and analytical skills relevant to the study of disease vectors, pathogens, parasites, and organisms of importance to public health with particular emphasis on tropical and resource-poor regions of the world.
- Enable students to conduct independent research in the laboratory and/or field.
- Produce graduates who are experienced, committed, informed, proactive and effective professionals, capable of taking substantial and leading professional roles.
- Facilitate high quality learning that is informed by critical analysis of current research.
Many alumni of LSTM hold prominent positions in health ministries, universities, hospitals, and international organisations throughout the world. Graduates are competitively placed to begin PhD programmes, seek employment within research programmes, work overseas in developing countries with a wide variety of employers including NGOs, military and public health-related employers, enter teacher training, or return to previous employers with enhanced knowledge and skills with which to advance their existing careers.
Graduates of the MSc Tropical Disease Biology have undergone excellent general preparation for a career in laboratory and field research in biological sciences, and are particularly well placed for careers in research or training in areas related to organisms of importance to public health, pathogen, parasitic and vector-borne diseases globally, and particularly within tropical or resource-poor regions of the world.
- The broad scope of the programme ranges from the biology, immunology, ecology and population biology of the organisms of importance to public health, disease epidemiology and tropical health issues. In addition to providing a solid foundation in pathogen, parasite and vector biology, the programme provides practical experience of essential techniques, as well as significant theoretical and practical knowledge in all important and topical areas of the field. Following the taught component, participants complete a dissertation including a period of applied research either overseas or in Liverpool.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Health Sciences Bioinformatics View 1964 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
- Open to graduates with an Honours degree (2.ii or equivalent) in the biological sciences or a medical/veterinary degree. Overseas candidates with other qualifications may be accepted, particularly if they have the relevant experience through working in an appropriate field for a number of years. Medical or Veterinary students who have completed at least three years of study and wish to intercalate are also accepted onto the programme.
- Non-graduates with considerable satisfactory work experience and evidence of appropriate in-service training will also be considered.
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.