It covers a wide range of topics in public and global health, including key disciplinary skills in epidemiology and social science and applied topics such as disease control and programme management.
The programme has a specialist focus on the theories and methods of improving and managing health systems and human resources. It aims to provide students with the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to enable them to take a leadership role in enhancing the effectiveness of health care organisations using quality and human resource management initiatives. Following the taught component, participants complete a dissertation including a period of applied research either overseas or in Liverpool.
This International Public Health (Planning & Management) programme from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine aims to:
- Provide a critical understanding of a range of health policies and strategies in a variety of social, epidemiological, cultural, economic and political settings in middle- and low- income countries
- Enable students to analyse critically, evaluate and conduct responsive, public health-related research and apply evidence to everyday practice.
- Produce graduates who are experienced, committed, informed, proactive and effective professionals, capable of taking substantial and leading professional roles in order to promote improved health and well-being in middle and low income countries
- Facilitate high quality learning that is informed by critical analysis of current research
- Develop independent and reflective approaches to study that will enable graduates to continue to learn in the future
There are many career opportunities within the field of Public Health throughout the world. Public Health, and in particular Planning and Management, can be seen by the huge deployment of staff and other resources from NGOs, UN Agencies, WHO and Military during the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa, H5N1 Avian Influenza, Zika Virus, and MERS, as well as through the response planning to natural disasters such as earthquakes and Tsunamis.
People with public health, planning and management skills are highly sought after. Past alumni of this course typically gain employment with health ministries, health departments, national or international disease control agencies, UN Agencies, aid organisations, health services research, or universities.
- Research Methods in Public Health
- Key Themes in International
- Health and Health Policy
- Organisation and Management
- Key Concepts in Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
- HR Planning & Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 1771 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Open to health professionals and graduates in health or related disciplines. Non-graduates with considerable work experience in the health sector of low or middle income countries and evidence of continued academic development through appropriate in-service training will also be considered. Medical students who have completed at least three years of study and wish to intercalate are also accepted onto the programmme subject to having appropriate experience.
- Candidates generally require professional or voluntary experience in health or health or a related area in a low or middle income country.
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.