Specializations of the Research Master programme in Health Sciences at Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) include clinical epidemiology, epidemiology, public health epidemiology, genetic and molecular epidemiology, and health economic analysis. After completion, candidates will have the knowledge, understanding and skills to propose state-of-the-art studies, write excellent study protocols, perform the research, analyze the data using modern statistical techniques, make defensible causal inferences, come to justified conclusions, and write outstanding research papers. Depending on the choice of specialization, the candidate will focus on for example clinical trials, population studies, public health interventions, or modeling studies
Students acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to formulate a clinical or public health problem and translate it into a scientific question;
- Ability to perform an extensive study of the literature concerning a problem;
- Ability to translate a scientific question into a research protocol;
- Acquisition of quantitative skills;
- Ability to make causal inferences;
- Ability to critically appraise published research;/li>
- Ability to conduct the research, collect and analyse data, and draw conclusions;
- Ability to write a Master’s thesis, including the objective(s) of the investigation, a summary of the literature, materials, methods, results, discussion and conclusions of the research project and to present these findings at scientific meetings. Publication of the research findings in an international peer-reviewed journal is encouraged.
The degree prepares you for a career in international medical research or for executive or advisory positions in clinical medicine, public health, pharmaceutical research, or health policy.
More informationVisit official programme website
- First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project;
- Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
- Research: Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesHealth Sciences View 87 other Masters in Health Sciences in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You should fit the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or a relevant Master’s degree from a discipline in or related to clinical medicine or public health (medical doctor, health sciences, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, psychology, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
International18900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA18900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.