Students in the Clinical Research Master programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) are in large part clinical investigators with an MD degree (or are in training for this) or a degree in biomedical sciences. The Research Master uses an interdisciplinary blend of biostatistics, epidemiology, clinical trial design, medical informatics, and health services research, to prepare the students for a career in patient-oriented and translational research, as well as more traditional clinical investigation.
Research opportunities are offered in a range of fields such as endocrinology, cardiovascular research, various subfields in oncology, neurology, pediatrics, obstetrics, urology, transplantation medicine, gastroenterology and hepatology, surgical research, and musculoskeletal science. Completion of the Clinical Research Master offers an excellent base to continue with a PhD project, for which there are ample opportunities at Erasmus MC as well.
If you are a medical student at Erasmus MC, you may apply for this Research Master programme, when you receive an invitation from the Dean, or when you feel you qualify for participation in this programme. The Research Master programme is accustomed to your Bachelor and Master in Medicine.
Students should acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to formulate a clinical problem and translate it into a scientific question;
- Ability to perform an extensive study of the literature concerning a clinical problem;
- Ability to translate a scientific question into a research protocol;
- Acquisition of sufficient knowledge of existing methods of clinical scientific research, biostatistical analytical methods, laws, regulations and ethics and the abilities to use such knowledge in a research protocol;
- Ability to conduct the research, collect and analyse data, and draw conclusions;
- Ability to write a Master’s thesis, including the objective(s) of the investigation, a summary of the literature, materials, methods, results, discussion and conclusions of the research project and to present these findings at scientific meetings. Publication of the research findings in an international peer-reviewed journal is encouraged;
- Ability to assess and be critical on research.
The degree prepares you for an international career in clinical research, or for an executive or advisory position in public health, clinical medicine, drug research or health-policy development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project;
- Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
- Research: Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Molecular Sciences View 36 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You should fit each of the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelors degree from a school of medicine or biomedical sciences.
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
- If you are a medical student at Erasmus MC, you may apply for this Research Master programme, when you receive an invitation from the Dean, or when you feel you qualify for participation in this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.